Sunday, May 17, 2009

The one where I return to the racist bar

I’m on my way to Mr X’s. We have a 12pm meet. It’s 10.30. I’m early. I’m nearly there. Bosh. I'm whizzing through the back roads, down Las Virgines, my favourite drive in the world and...

I get a call.

Cancelled. Arse. I’m not happy. But what to do... That's the way it is.

I've got to leave Roof's place too. It's over. It was amazing while it lasted but... so now I've moved into Nico’s place. I’m living out of a suitcase but I love the location. I’m in the Hills. I feel like I’ve arrived. I love his dogs too. Despite the constant fear I feel about my job, I feel I can cope if these dogs are around.

Meanwhile... Tamara invited me over to her friend's house party. Amazing house. Amazing. Up on Lookout Mountain. I was more thrilled because a friend from home turned up. I can't tell you how exciting it was to see someone from home. Someone who's known me since I was eight. I got to show her my bullet wound - she's a doctor. She has no fear. And it was so nice to show her an amazing house. Incredible. The view. The interior. A proper ‘fuck me’ moment. Now that's a house.

I've also been getting crank calls. The details aren't really necessary to put up here but they're relentless and kind of creepy. I'm fairly sure I know where they're from. I try and ignore them. However, they're ongoing and I have to be at Mr X's tomorrow and I'm not getting much sleep as I'm thinking about these calls. I'm not sure quite what to do about them.

Some other friends are in town this week and, the following night, we go out to the bar with the racist statue...

The girls are back from Vegas, where they've been for the past few days. I'm jealous. I was too broke to join them on their jaunt.

We go bowling in the evening. I’ve only been bowling once before. I don’t like not being good at things but I give it my best shot. It's confirmed. I'm shit. Utter shit. I just don't really know what I'm doing and... if I'm not brilliant from the off... what's the point? And. I'm not brilliant. However I tried my best and I'm glad when it's suggested we head to the dive bar with the racist Aunt Jemima statue where Mr J and Ms I do some line dancing.

I'm exhausted as we head back to Mr J’s and… by 3am… it’s hot tub time. Lucky old Ms J. It’s him and six girls. I drive home through Mulholland at 4.30am. I’m shattered. I’m terrified the dogs are going to go mental as I creep in but their tails are wagging. It’s all good.

It's even better than good because Mr X hasn't really been around again. I'm always doing stuff for him... the schedule, the work... the works even but today I've been off the hook. Yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment